WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A BOARD-CERTIFIED ORTHODONTIST
Your teeth are important. Having a mouth you are proud of can have a serious impact on your life. At Infinite Orthodontics in Plano, we understand this and believe everyone deserves the best possible care from an orthodontist who has reached the highest level of training and is truly committed to treating irregularities of the teeth and jaws.
That’s why our doctor, Dr. Hanoun, is certified as a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics, the highest possible standard in orthodontics, besides his Two Masters Degree in Orthodontics.
Sure, this title sounds impressive, but what exactly does it mean to be a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics?
An orthodontist is a dentist who has completed an accredited graduate program approved by the Commission on Dental Accreditation in the specialty of orthodontics.
All dentists go through extensive training, but orthodontists go through additional training (and an additional residency) to better understand the mouth and how it works. As a graduate, the orthodontist then becomes board eligible.
In order to become a Diplomate (or board certified), orthodontists must go through an additional voluntary process to be evaluated by their peers for their orthodontic knowledge and clinical skills.
You may have seen Diplomate written as Diplomat, but the word is Diplomate. The final “e” implies the highest attainment in education, evaluation, excellence, and ethics.
Here are the components of becoming a Diplomate:
Today, certification is awarded for a limited time, requiring the orthodontist to be re-examined on a periodic basis to maintain their elevated status.
Don’t think that being board certified is a simple or easy process. Only about 25 percent of orthodontists in the United States attain this certification.
WHAT IS THE AMERICAN BOARD OF ORTHODONTICS?
The American Board of Orthodontics is the oldest specialty board in dentistry and has been around since 1929. The original objectives of the ABO were to elevate the standards of practice of orthodontia, to familiarize the public with its aims and ideals, and to protect the public against irresponsible and unqualified practitioners.
The ABO is the only specialty board recognized by the American Dental Association and sponsored by the American Association of Orthodontists.
Feel comforted when you choose our Alpharetta area orthodontist. At Jordan Orthodontics, every member of our staff strives to give all our patients the highest quality care.
Dr. Hanoun has known he wanted to be an orthodontist since early years, and he is committed to providing the highest possible orthodontic care. He received his certification as a board certified orthodontist in 2005 and continues to further his education and stay up-to-date on the latest technology through multi Continuous Education meetings that he keep attending every year.
Today Dr. Hanoun is celebrating over 20 years of creating beautiful smiles for his patients. He has extensive experience working with children and adults, and is well trained in his craft of designing smiles for patients of all ages. Dr. Hanoun uses various techniques and utilizes the latest advanced software and 3D imaging when treating his patients.
Dr. Hanoun is passionate about supporting less fortunate children through education. He also enjoys travelling, swimming, growing flowers, and spending quality time with his family.
Dr Hanoun Publications:Peer-Review Journals
Dr Hanoun Oral Presentation andConferences Posters
1. A comparison of the treatment effects of the Forsus Fatigue Resistance Device and the Twin Block appliance in patients with Class II malocclusions Abdulfatah Hanoun, et al.2015 American Association of Orthodontists Meeting, San Francisco, CA
2. The Effectiveness of the Myofunctional Appliance in Comparison to Twin Block Appliance for Class II Malocclusion: A Randomized Clinical Trial, 17th International Orthodontic Congress, Sydney, Australia, February-2010, Abdul Hanoun, N Mokhtar, MF Khamis, NH Razak
3. Pre-treatment Determinants of Successful Functional Appliance Treatment: A Prospective Study. 8th Scientific Meeting of IADR Malaysia – Universiti Teknologi MARA – Malaysia. Oral Presentation.
4. Skeletal and soft tissue cephalometric characteristics of skeletal Class II
Malays in comparison with Class I, 16th international Malaysian Association of Orthodontists conference, 24-26 April 2010, A Hanoun., B.K.ABDELRAHMAN, S. H. ABU ASAB , N. MOKHTAR. Oral Presentation.
5. Caries Preventive effects of Pit &Fissures Sealants, Symposium on Diseases and Therapy Update at Almadina, Feb 2011, Oral Presentation.
6. Cauterization: A technique in Dental and Oral Medicine used during the ancient civilization.
6th international traditional/complementary medicine and 3rd international congress of traditional medicine and material medicine, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, June 2007.